Rich featured OpenKore frontend/GUI

Discussion about everything RO and OpenKore related. This place is NOT for ANY kind of support questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Kleenex
Human
Human

Re: Rich featured OpenKore frontend/GUI

#11 Post by Kleenex »

Something like:

That would help in cases where the specific spelling is forgotten, or particularly long.

I'm imagining a config maker with the input field like in the picture above, then with several check boxes next to them, each representing the various settings we can choose from.
The important part would be a short/quick description of what are the each settings we can pick... because I still have to reference the comment block at the top to remember which ones I want a 1 and which ones I want a 0.

So it's not a "config" maker, but a mon_control.txt + item_control.txt maker.
The config.txt file is no longer a hassle for me, but if you had the time I would suggest making a GUI config-er that integrates the manual into it (mouse-over gives it a short description, or show/hide a manual entry right below it, etc)... for easy reference and convenience. I think that would really help new users get familiar with openkore.

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator
Noob?: No

#12 Post by Cozzie »

I believe if you want to look for that mon control + item maker, you can look at MiBurn. You dont even need to type things out, that is what a frontend GUI should be like.

Your second idea is great but as an addition the options should have a more user friendlier name than the one in the config.
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

Kleenex
Human
Human

#13 Post by Kleenex »

oh shi- miburn is amazing.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#14 Post by sli »

I'm curious, darkfate, as to how to plan to implement a GUI separate from OpenKore. Sockets?
cs : ee : realist

darkfate
Super Moderators
Super Moderators

#15 Post by darkfate »

sli wrote:I'm curious, darkfate, as to how to plan to implement a GUI separate from OpenKore. Sockets?
I have a few ideas in mind actually. Of course I also want an embedded console in my GUI exactly how WX has it too. One solution for that is to run the console based OpenKore in the background and redirect the output to a console in my GUI.

To actually know what's going on you could either send commands to the process and parse the output. Another solution would be writing a plugin which logs every information to a file which would then be parsed by the GUI. But that's pretty slow and always includes everything, which is probably more information than the GUI needs in that moment.

So the solution with the sockets seems to be the best. Maybe there are some others which I don't know. The the OpenKore plugin will act as server and the GUI as client which will connect to OpenKore (the plugin) and only request the information it needs and only when it needs it. This would of course need it own protocol between client (GUI) and server (OpenKore plugin)
You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
- Mark Rippetoe

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#16 Post by sli »

Sockets would be really simple. Just have the GUI open a listening socket, make a plugin for Kore that creates a client socket, then replaces the STDOUT file handle with the socket. At least, that's how I'd do it.

Code: Select all

# Pythonic method
import sys, socket

s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s.connect(('localhost',1337)) # just made up a portno

stdout = sys.stdout
sys.stdout = s
Now anything that's printed to the console with print will be sent over the socket. And if you want to print to the console:

stdout.write('Hello, world!\n')
cs : ee : realist

Barracks
Human
Human

#17 Post by Barracks »

Chat log/bar would be REALLY helpful, I find the inability to quickly browse through the chat that has existed around me is a bitchy limitation.

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#18 Post by Cozzie »

are you going to opensource it darkfate?
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

darkfate
Super Moderators
Super Moderators

#19 Post by darkfate »

Cozzie wrote:are you going to opensource it darkfate?
Not sure about that yet. It will be free of course, but I don't know if I will open source it yet.
I will be able to tell that after the first release.
You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
- Mark Rippetoe

darkfate
Super Moderators
Super Moderators

#20 Post by darkfate »

sli wrote:Sockets would be really simple. Just have the GUI open a listening socket, make a plugin for Kore that creates a client socket, then replaces the STDOUT file handle with the socket. At least, that's how I'd do it.

# Pythonic method
import sys, socket

s = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
s.connect(('localhost',1337)) # just made up a portno

stdout = sys.stdout
sys.stdout = s
Now anything that's printed to the console with print will be sent over the socket. And if you want to print to the console:

stdout.write('Hello, world!\n')
I won't use python btw :P
- Mark Rippetoe