Does the bot for Windows also run on the Linux?

Discussion about everything RO and OpenKore related. This place is NOT for ANY kind of support questions.

Moderator: Moderators

usjrjenz
Noob
Noob
Noob?: Yes

Does the bot for Windows also run on the Linux?

#1 Post by usjrjenz »

Does the bot for windows also run on the linux?

im just wondering if it will...

coz in the download page, there are so many requirements needed to operate the bot in Linux..

Help please.. :D tnx...

Haraku
Noob
Noob
Noob?: No

Re: Does the bot for Windows also run on the Linux?

#2 Post by Haraku »

How is perl ./openkore hard? o.o
It's bread.

Private server guide:
1. Use SVN
2. serverType 8, 8_1-4
3. Update recvpackets
3. ???
4. Profit

Bibian
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#3 Post by Bibian »

http://www.openkore.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Linux/Unix

note that if your distro does not have the version specified of a certain file, just use the latest version...

usjrjenz
Noob
Noob

#4 Post by usjrjenz »

I know that it isn't hard but the computer in our office is run by Linux Ubuntu and the problem there is that it doesnt have C++ and other requirements needed.and we are not authorized to install any programs into the computer.

ahhmm..

Question: What happen if I run the bot for the Windows in the Linux system?will it run or not?

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#5 Post by sli »

Honestly, I think we need a disclaimer saying that if you can't figure out how to run Kore on Linux on your own, then you don't want to use Linux, period.
cs : ee : realist

Engydoggy
Human
Human

#6 Post by Engydoggy »

sli wrote:Honestly, I think we need a disclaimer saying that if you can't figure out how to run Kore on Linux on your own, then you don't want to use Linux, period.
Some companies, specially outside of north america, are changing their whole platform to linux based systems, so they don't have to pay micro$ux for a crappy product.

Most of the time, the people that had been used to a pirated copy of windows their whole lives are forced to change to linux, don't know jack squat about using linux when suddenly, in course of a weekend they come back to their jobs with shiny new non expensive, linux systems.

"Where's my windows explorer? wtf? what is this the linux? how can I start minesweeper? what does it keep telling me to open the console? do I need a screwdiver? "

So yeah... Seen it happen a lot at my university where they moved to a simplified version of ubuntu to keep these kinda problems at a minimum. Still people managed to screw up configs and not know how to do the most basic of procedures. *sigh*

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#7 Post by sli »

You just described the people that shouldn't even be using computers, much less Linux. Anyone with even the slightest dedication can figure out how to use apt/aptitude/yum/whatever else, and these days you can get a good experience with Linux having just that knowledge. Linux is like assembly: everyone thinks its scary and difficult because everyone else tells them it's scary and difficult.

The problem with Linux is the same as we have with OpenKore. No one wants to read a damn manual, anymore, they want everyone else to do their work for them.
cs : ee : realist

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#8 Post by Cozzie »

Honestly this whole fuss learning linux is just due to hearsay, learning curve and itchy fingers. It however can be helped by concentrating more on user centric design principles, it wont miraculously fix all issues but it does help reduce it dramatically. CLI based linux is a geek thing. and well for better or worse, computers are becoming more mainstream and non geeks will use it. Stupid or not they arent keen on reading 1000 page manuals =) Like cars, people just want to drive it, they dont want to have to learn how to build a car to use it.

Unbuntu have come a long way with it's GUI but people would still think it is hard just because it has a linux moniker and of course it's a bit different. People have enough problem switching from xp to vista as it is, what'd happen when they are forced to switch to linux. But problems will still arise until we make computers with intelligence to tell them off if they are going to crash something but when that day comes, the AI would probably take over the humanity, the world and turn it into the matrix.

Until then, the issues are here to stay, but we as IT people can help make easier to use software, give proper training or god forbid just because it has a GUI they'd instinctively knows how to use it. Unfortunately we are sometime a bit elitist and dont want to make the situation less torturous, so this is our curse, so to say.

PS: although this is openkore after all, if we get people who ask "what/where do i extract fields pack" on a regular basis, We dont have to worry bout them using linux anytime soon. They'd give up trying to login before trying to use openkore.
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

Franz
Noob
Noob

#9 Post by Franz »

Huh...
I botted in Linux for some weeks. I had no problem installing, or using it. Same ease-of-use as in windows.
I'm I li'l tad geeky... not too much.
I was happy to see Linux support ;)

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#10 Post by Cozzie »

it's coded in perl/c++, naturally it should be easily supported.
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.