Erok needs developers!

Discussion about everything RO and OpenKore related. This place is NOT for ANY kind of support questions.

Moderator: Moderators

andy12345
Moderators
Moderators
Noob?: No

Re: Erok needs developers!

#11 Post by andy12345 »

VCL wrote:Well right now I'm not very involved with OpenKore. I can understand why others might feel threatened, and I admit that I myself am not totally feeling unthreatened - it was "my" project after all. But my absence allows me to view the situation from a more neutral stand point.

I have no doubts that Perl wasn't and isn't the best language to write OpenKore in. The reason why it's in Perl is because of the legacy that we've all inherited from Kura, with all the associated pros and cons. You say that Erok can become serious competition to OpenKore. Technically, any bot can become serious competition, but technology isn't the main issue here; manpower and dedication, are. OpenKore isn't exactly a piece of technical wonder (I tried, but there's too much legacy code and too many features that prevented me from doing things properly), but the reason why it's so successful* is because people continued to maintain it. The code may not be nice, but at least it's continually updated. Other attempts at rewriting OpenKore or at making a new bot that is technically sound, have failed because the authors gave up. Man power and dedication and continuous updates turned out to be more valuable to the project's survival than pure code quality.

So make no mistake. You seem to be proud of your work, and I can understand that. But also understand that you probably won't "win" if you rely too much on code quality as the only drive.

Oh and check IRC, I'm in your channel right now.

* In this post, I define "success" as "used by pretty much everybody in the RO botting community".
OH MA GOD!! :o He's alive...uh I mean he's back BEAT the damn DRUMS let everyone know..