More moderator for the forum

Discussion about everything RO and OpenKore related. This place is NOT for ANY kind of support questions.

Moderator: Moderators

ponty
Moderators
Moderators
Noob?: No

Re: More moderator for the forum

#11 Post by ponty »

If I remember correctly, a similar quiz was used before in the past for the forums registrations, but I'm not sure how well that worked out though since they removed it after awhile and with the new forums it hasn't been put back in. I like the idea though of having a quiz possibly on forum rules and FANQs. I think it'll be an effective deterrent and it'll at least force the ones who want to use Openkore badly to read up on stuff that they otherwise wouldn't.
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#12 Post by sli »

Bibian wrote:
sli wrote:I still think we need to implement various prerequisites that are required for access to the forums. Quiz based on basic bot setup, maybe a quiz on using SVN required to access the developer section, etc.
good job you just stopped 95% of our current users from posting lol
I guess it must just be a coincidence that 95% of our users don't read the manual and just post stupid threads.
cs : ee : realist

andy12345
Moderators
Moderators

#13 Post by andy12345 »

ponty wrote:If I remember correctly, a similar quiz was used before in the past for the forums registrations, but I'm not sure how well that worked out though since they removed it after awhile and with the new forums it hasn't been put back in. I like the idea though of having a quiz possibly on forum rules and FANQs. I think it'll be an effective deterrent and it'll at least force the ones who want to use Openkore badly to read up on stuff that they otherwise wouldn't.
Uh..well just a funny thought crossed my mind..what if people do down to buying accounts of forums from other guys XD

ponty
Moderators
Moderators

#14 Post by ponty »

Well I didn't say make it impossible for the average person to get the forum accounts. The answers to the quiz should be moderately easily found with say 5 minutes of reading (e.g. forum rules, quick start guide to botting and somewhere in there give instructions to click on something invisible in a corner or said picture).

I would care less to whether people buy forum accounts which they could get for FREE if they spent a small amount of their time reading. If people who paid for those accounts and get banned soon after making a couple retarded posts, they have every right to be laughed and mocked at.
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#15 Post by sli »

I think some of the questions should be instant fails. There's nothing wrong with a low upper limitation, but we should have a very high lower limit. For example, if someone can't tell you what the "attackAuto" setting is for, they should fail regardless of their overall score. Even if they don't miss any other questions. Maybe not, who cares?

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#16 Post by Cozzie »

I totally disagree on quizzes. A pvpgn server that I used to play has this requirement and it DID NOT work. I'll mannered players still plagued the server and annoyed me and my mates who are well mannered players from registering. What it serves is just to annoy users who need real help, the rest would just google the answers. Being a gated community is no proper fix.

Again let me stress, fix the problem not the symptom and in this case the problem is openkore. It is NOT user friendly and totally contradicts the type of users we have. Openkore is NOT a professional tool. Openkore should concentrate on good HCI (human computer interface) and that would solve 95% of the problems.
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#17 Post by sli »

Writing config editors won't solve the problem. They're no different than just editing the config by hand. Do you suggest completely refactoring the confg file formats? Because the problem isn;t the config, it's that people simply are not attempting to help themselves before coming here.

Bibian
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#18 Post by Bibian »

making a proper HCI is very hard... even Microsoft hasn't perfected it (just look at how idiotic Windows is in terms of interface design).
There's still people that ask things that are so obvious for the normal user.

Every community has its idiots...seems we just have more than average -_-;

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#19 Post by sli »

Most UIs aren't much different from Windows XP. Gnome, KDE, OS X, and Windows XP (and Xfce, and AROS, and so on...) all share the same basic, menu-driven system. It's just Vista that took a nose dive into Fuckup Valley(TM) by changing shit way too radically. ex: How the hell do you change a wallpaper's display mode after you set it as wallpaper? It's not in the display settings, desktop settings, or anywhere that I could find.