More moderator for the forum

Discussion about everything RO and OpenKore related. This place is NOT for ANY kind of support questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Mushroom
Perl Monk
Perl Monk
Noob?: No

More moderator for the forum

#1 Post by Mushroom »

I don't know if everybody agrees, but imo the forum is "desorganzed" :/
Desorganized I mean, way too many noobs speaking like this "HeLp Me PlZ" or people bumping/double posting or people just begging for stuffs... It would be a lot better if we had more moderators in the forum.
And maybe more rules like, don't double post, don't bump topic, don't use tittles like "I need help" etc etc...
And start to ban/ip ban the ones who doesn't obbey the rules...

Well... just my opinion :x
Quit.

Bibian
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

Re: More moderator for the forum

#2 Post by Bibian »

check our trashcan... it full of crap that idiots post... im very strict about posts, some other moderators aren't as strict as i am so posts dont get trashed
if they dont follow our rules... in general if it doesnt follow our rules i trash instantly

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#3 Post by sli »

I'm more strict than vivi.
cs : ee : realist

himaru
Noob
Noob
Noob?: Yes

#4 Post by himaru »

I think you need more mods. Your forum have so many trashcan topics. I don't know where to go and what is the correct answer for the questions.
"In a name of Himaru, peace will be yours" - Spring Princess Himaru

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#5 Post by sli »

Chances are if it hasn't been trashed already, it doesn't need to be trashed. We don't need more mods, we've handled everything fine so far. We have five admins and eight moderators. That's thirteen people capable of moderating the forums. Then there are the documentation guys, two more mods for two specific sections, so that's fifteen moderators for a measly 1603 threads, 10679 posts, and 5594 members. That's 1.91 posts per member and 0.29 threads per member. And these numbers include everything that's already been trashed. If anything, we have too many mods.

ponty
Moderators
Moderators

#6 Post by ponty »

About trashing posts...I just noticed that I've been just deleting them instead of trashing them. Oops xD Oh well the posts weren't that important anyways. I usually go through thoroughly my area of the forum to clean out once a month...to get rid of the useless posts you could probably find already by searching around or just pertain to the topic at all.

As for the suggestion for more moderators, I'm not saying having more moderators isn't a good idea, but the idea is a short term solution to this problem. Trashing and deleting posts will not get rid of the noobs. If you want to see less of the noob posts in the long run, how about getting more people to contribute to documentation and guides? I think more simplified and clearly explained tutorials are needed to be created reducing the number of noob questions in the long run, but that won't happen if there isn't a strong interest in documentation, like it has been shown in the past. So if you are tired of seeing the trash topics, help out with the documentation by reading up on isieo's post to join the documentation team. We're constantly looking for more writers and ideas to improve the material.

Oh isn't this topic in the wrong area...shouldn't it be in more of the discussion area of the forums?
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

Bibian
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#7 Post by Bibian »

the noobs and idiots dont bother reading the manual, what makes you think they'll read the other documents

ponty
Moderators
Moderators

#8 Post by ponty »

Is there another way to get them to read the manual before posting their questions? Why do the noobs/idiots don't read the manual in the first place? Could it be an issue of usability? Possibly maybe? I find it somewhat harder to browse for what I'm searching now through the new wiki layout manual than with the old static html layout, but I guess that's what we have to sacrifice for it to be translatable. This is coming from someone who has been around for a while and familiar with Openkore. Maybe others in the community could agree with me or is it just me who's noticing this? Then you have to see it from a newcomer's view, how would a newcomer view it? Although not much useful comments were replied to this post (probably b/c the fact that the reference was a long read...), Cozzie did refer to a good point about Human-centered products here:
Unfortunately, not everyone is like us (referring to those who do read the manual and are used to absorbing technical information), the average person likes simplicity and they will find another way just to keep it simple (even if it is viewed negatively). If the documents were made easier to search, read and understand (noting that not everyone is a very technical user), and also making the forums more difficult to create their useless posts, maybe then they'll more likely be inclined to refer to the documents.

Yes, it's good that we have devs working on the technical side of the project, but we must not forget about the rest of the users who may be not as Openkore(OK)-literate. It's also about trying to get more people OK-literate so that way there's a larger base of users who can contribute back. Bashing the noobs all the time won't exactly solve the problems either, and most likely won't encourage any growth within the community.
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#9 Post by sli »

I still think we need to implement various prerequisites that are required for access to the forums. Quiz based on basic bot setup, maybe a quiz on using SVN required to access the developer section, etc.

Bibian
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#10 Post by Bibian »

sli wrote:I still think we need to implement various prerequisites that are required for access to the forums. Quiz based on basic bot setup, maybe a quiz on using SVN required to access the developer section, etc.
good job you just stopped 95% of our current users from posting lol