On legal issues with bots and research

Discussion about everything RO and OpenKore related. This place is NOT for ANY kind of support questions.

Moderator: Moderators

obernardo
Noob
Noob
Noob?: Yes

On legal issues with bots and research

#1 Post by obernardo »

Hi all! I don't know if this is the proper place to ask this, so please be gentle to move the topic to where it is most suitable.

I am a noob to OpenKore, though I have been tweaking with AI recently, and having found this good library I thought about creating some AI to Ragnarok and experimenting with it. Since my goals are for making research, I'd like to know if there is some server where bots are allowed (or nor prohibited) and if there would be legal issues with the guys from Gravity or any other company. It seems to me that mostly botters who are discovered are at most expelled from the server (is that right?). However, when it comes to publications, legal issues should arise if there were any problem...

<edit> Could any of shed a light upon this issue? <\edit>

(if I happen to implement this AI for Ragnarok, I will of course commit everything - if I am allowed to - once the experiments are finished)

Technology
Super Moderators
Super Moderators
Noob?: No

Re: On legal issues with bots and research

#2 Post by Technology »

You are allowed to bot on Kore RO.
If you are interrested in AI, you might want to check out the AI 2008 project.
One ST0 to rule them all? One PE viewer to find them!
One ST_kRO to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...

Mount Doom awaits us, fellowship of OpenKore!

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#3 Post by sli »

You might really, really also want to check out the collection of AI ebooks I uploaded recently.

As for the legal question, that's cute. You should look up bushing and marcan's presentaion on the Homebrew Channel then think long and hard about whether or not you really care what Gravity has to say, then ask yourself where you stand morally in your beliefs on access to information and knowledge. I'm serious. Some things should be above the law, even if only by force.
cs : ee : realist

ponty
Moderators
Moderators

#4 Post by ponty »

Is this research for an academic research paper that you have in mind?
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

azara
Noob
Noob

#5 Post by azara »

Connecting to KoreRO with openkore is 100% legal because it doesn't violate any laws whatsoever.
Yes. I own Kore-RO. Join Kore-RO http://www.kore-ro.com/
No. I don't read my PMs.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#6 Post by sli »

Technically not true, since Kore-RO is an unofficial server. OpenKore + eAthena might be legal, but just barely.

Krai
Been there done that!
Been there done that!
Noob?: Yes

#7 Post by Krai »

sli wrote:Technically not true, since Kore-RO is an unofficial server. OpenKore + eAthena might be legal, but just barely.
eathena is legal?????? or just tollerated because it is not worth the lawer cost to sue?
Don't Get Owned! Do Your Research First.
The Manual | Packet Extractor | Use Macros | Server Info Guide | Old Forum
You got banned? Krai me a fuckin river..

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#8 Post by sli »

It doesn't use any copyrighted code. As far as I know, Gravity doesn't own a copyright on the RO protocol, either. Consider all the open source implementations of retail software: OpenOffice.org Suite (doc/docx, Access, etc), Pidgin (most IM protocols), Open-Xchange (Exchange), the list goes on.