Moving source code to GitHub from SVN

Do you have a question or problem? Read this forum first! Someone has probably already asked the same thing in the past. Do not ASK questions here!

Moderators: Moderators, Documentation Writers

Are you excited?

Git ROCKS!
70%
SVN is the BEST!!!
16%
Meh
7%
About time...
7%

Total votes: 44

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moving to GitHub

#11 Post by kLabMouse »

itsrachelfish wrote:
kLabMouse wrote:If anything try to use our Dev's e-mail from board or SourceForge. Also. We tried to move OpenKore to GitHub long time ago. so there is a team and members there already.
Yep! isieo gave me admin access in the GitHub organization and we've been doing all of our work in there. I added a few people's github accounts manually and the rest of the accounts were based on the SourceForge forwarding emails.

I made a new page on the wiki as well: http://openkore.com/index.php/Git

It's so nice to see you around kLab, you should drop by IRC some time. :)
Sorry. I'm retard for now. But I still get eMails from board and SVN

Edit: Totally forgot... We had such a nice system that allowed client to update on fly some long time ago.
If possible, please revive it to use Git as base.

itsrachelfish
Developers
Developers
Noob?: No

#12 Post by itsrachelfish »

kLabMouse wrote:Edit: Totally forgot... We had such a nice system that allowed client to update on fly some long time ago.
I assume you're referring to isieo's "openkore_ready" downloads page? As far as I know, all we'd need to do is include the precompiled files from http://misc.openkore.com/ (start.exe, etc) into the repo. The whole project was restructured this morning to allow people to simply clone and start using kore. If you click the "download zip" button on the GitHub page, it offers the same functionality as openkore_ready without needing to be hosted on some random website. :)

So far all of the developers I've talked agree that there should be more emphasis on having a regular release cycle instead of relying on everyone using the most recent development version of the code.
Tired of waiting for answers on the forums?
Want to talk to OpenKore experts?

Hang out on the #OpenKore IRC!

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by kLabMouse »

itsrachelfish wrote:
kLabMouse wrote:Edit: Totally forgot... We had such a nice system that allowed client to update on fly some long time ago.
So far all of the developers I've talked agree that there should be more emphasis on having a regular release cycle instead of relying on everyone using the most recent development version of the code.
OK. I know how Developer feel, and how it was back when I joined the project.
When game was changing every week or even every day, we had to adopt. And what we came up, is a feature of OpenKore to upgrade itself while starting (there was special bins for that).
If, for now there is no need to keep release always fresh, be it.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#14 Post by sli »

itsrachelfish wrote:In the main openkore repo we're going to rearrange everything to only use the trunk version of subprojects.
Explain to me why this is ok when you do it but it wasn't ok when I moved the SVN repo to Github the first time, months ago.
cs : ee : realist

itsrachelfish
Developers
Developers

#15 Post by itsrachelfish »

sli wrote:
itsrachelfish wrote:In the main openkore repo we're going to rearrange everything to only use the trunk version of subprojects.
Explain to me why this is ok when you do it but it wasn't ok when I moved the SVN repo to Github the first time, months ago.
Woah buddy. Let's just chill. I'd be happy to talk to you on IRC.

Edit: To explain further, when you did it, there really wasn't any discussion or community involvement, you just went and did it. Your repo did not have the full commit history or the proper attribution for GitHub accounts. There was no announcement of the migration and SVN was not made read only. The wiki pages and download links were not updated to use the new GitHub address either.

Clearly OpenKore is still being actively developed--after only 2 days on GitHub the project has over 20 issues and pull requests. We can't go making big decisions like migrating off of SourceForge without at least some transparency.

Sorry for the confusion.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#16 Post by sli »

The original migration was a test of the process. Considering there are at least three discussion media for this project, two of which I use actively, I'm pretty confused as to why none of these things were ever mentioned to me in the interim four months or so it took to work this out. Especially since everything but the alleged history gaps is extremely minor. "Get on IRC" is not a solution, you have to manage communication on all three platforms.

The old Github thread that was longer than this one notwithstanding, the response was just lukewarm.
cs : ee : realist

sofax222
Developers
Developers
Noob?: Yes

#17 Post by sofax222 »

username on SourceForge: sofax222
email for GitHub account: snoopy@snop.idv.tw

allanon256
Developers
Developers

#18 Post by allanon256 »

sofax222 wrote:username on SourceForge: sofax222
We've already done the migration, so we can't change the history anymore. But according to rachelfish, you can still link your github account and have the history work correctly by adding your sourceforge email address to your github account. Just add "sofax222@users.sourceforge.net" to your github account for your commits to show up in your account.

sofax222
Developers
Developers
Noob?: Yes

#19 Post by sofax222 »

allanon256 wrote:
sofax222 wrote:username on SourceForge: sofax222
We've already done the migration, so we can't change the history anymore. But according to rachelfish, you can still link your github account and have the history work correctly by adding your sourceforge email address to your github account. Just add "sofax222@users.sourceforge.net" to your github account for your commits to show up in your account.
I add the "sofax222@users.sourceforge.net" to my github account.
And then, use the "sofax222@users.sourceforge.net" to try to commit.
But I got the error as following:

Commit failed (details follow):
Access to '/OpenKore/openkore/!svn/act/a3b50695-c1dd-e647-b25c-05daf3acf7df'
forbidden

How can I be added into the members of Github/Openkore ??

itsrachelfish
Developers
Developers

#20 Post by itsrachelfish »

sofax222 wrote: Commit failed (details follow):
Access to '/OpenKore/openkore/!svn/act/a3b50695-c1dd-e647-b25c-05daf3acf7df'
forbidden

How can I be added into the members of Github/Openkore ??
Well, I'll need to know what your github account is. I tried "sofax222" and "sofax" but it wasn't either of those :(

Once we have your username, any of the project admins can add you as a developer to the project. But you don't even need to be an official developer to the project to contribute on GitHub. Anyone can make a fork of the project in their own account, make commits, and then submit a pull request to be approved in the official repo.

Edit: I've updated my original post to be more clear. Hope that helps /no1