Release OpenKore 2.0.8 ???

Forum closed. All further discussion to be discussed at https://github.com/OpenKore/

Moderator: Moderators

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

Release OpenKore 2.0.8 ???

#1 Post by kLabMouse »

OK. We waited for So long to make OpenKore the best.
And from Lat release, we have have been developing OpenKore for almost 1.5y.
From the last 2.0.7 Release AutoUpdate broken, and there is no clue on how to make it stable.

So.
The question is: Do We Release 2.0.8 or continue Developing 2.1 without intermediate 2.0.8 release?

Side note:
But.. As for Release, We need to stabilize the situation around Network subsystem. All the Official Servers should be supported more or less on Release date.
And, Also do not forget about Renewal. Most of the Skills are not yet fully configured.

EternalHarvest
Developers
Developers
Noob?: Yes

Re: Release OpenKore 2.0.8 ???

#2 Post by EternalHarvest »

The more specific question: are changes in localization (skills/items/etc and how it affects config) fine, usable and liked? It's probably the biggest change we shouldn't revert later. (Also, how easy it's to migrate from 2.0.7 to current? Before that, it was mostly like bringing your old control files with you, no?)

The same for other changes... if there are any non-compatible like that.

Other current issues are mostly valid for old releases too, like server support and renewal support.

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by kLabMouse »

EternalHarvest wrote:The more specific question: are changes in localization (skills/items/etc and how it affects config) fine, usable and liked? It's probably the biggest change we shouldn't revert later. (Also, how easy it's to migrate from 2.0.7 to current? Before that, it was mostly like bringing your old control files with you, no?)
Yeah. The biggest problem, is to Upgrade all the Officials and make OpenKore compatible with them.
Also, Suppress or implement somehow thus nasty new features (I was hoping to release without them... but).
The Warnings about unsupported packets should be minimal, and do not impact usability.

Plus. We need to write somewhere thus 'Breaking Changes'. (there is alot of them).

And To not forget about Update system. It's a Must to make user bug reports impact as minimal as possible over time.

P.S. Can somebody make an category overview on what Bugs still exist in current Trunk? (Network, AI, etc.)

EternalHarvest
Developers
Developers
Noob?: Yes

#4 Post by EternalHarvest »

kLabMouse wrote:
EternalHarvest wrote:
kLabMouse wrote: Well. What We need is a good Update system for Release. As old one shown it's limitations.
Adding Additional branch with our limited resources will make OpenKore die.
So it's better concentrate on fixing while moving.

But. I with the 2.0.8 Could be Released in no time! Just to update Tables a few Network related thins and Translation!
Update: can't really give any opinion about that, as my opinion is "as svn is needed anyway, do a quick shell script, with backup instructions on how to get a clean copy printed before it tries anything". Current updater never worked really reliably for me, especially on Windows where it just froze randomly, so I gave up on it after fixing its real bugs

Branch: fine, as far as all the changes are supervised

Translation: not much we can do

Tables/Network: you mean server support? Well, it's job of contributors too, and some do great job (as iRO supporters displayed just recently)
Yeah. I agree about Contributors.
but the Translation Changes are not yet perfect... thus not allowing other (except russian, that is actively changing things) do and translate things.

I try to Check and Recheck all the changes in SVN as I can. Lately I had no time to even check on SVN changes.

About AutoUpdater:
You suggest to make some little tool that automatically downloads and extract latest files? Hmm...

OK. Can you please move out conversation to Testers Corner?
As on translation support, openkore doesn't even use ngettext.
Translators can report translation issues they're having anyway.

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by kLabMouse »

Ok. So translations is not a Problem.

Next: Networking.
How much OLD unsupported packets we have? (Thus that are not related to new RE features).

DrKN
Developers
Developers
Noob?: No

#6 Post by DrKN »

I have checked the .po and .mo files
but seems they are all manual adding sentences?
it's a huge work to do

The renewal packets i am updating them and i predict i can finish them all in mid-may coz i am hving exam

The AutoUpdate one we are depending on SF but seems SF is not yet stable?
Maybe we set up a server for updating files?

On the versioning problem.. i think we can still set 2.1 as our target and stay in 2.0.7 but adding a dev word
I have read yours chatting and i think adding dev and the rev. number behind is better
like 2.0.7 dev7715
because i don't think 2.0.8 is meaningful to users but the rev. will let them know exactly the version

And the last thing is.. we have to find supporters for mRO and bRO?

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by kLabMouse »

We need stable supporters for each official server.
Including thus that are currently not in list.
And somebody that will support kRO tree too.