Community issues

Forum closed. All further discussion to be discussed at https://github.com/OpenKore/

Moderator: Moderators

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Community issues

#11 Post by kLabMouse »

OK. As for Tracking Bugs. and Overall things. I see 3 solutions.
1) Move forums to IBP. There is nice things there, and they are native (including bug tracker)
2) Use some phpBB3 plugin/mod to make BugTracker like section (Improve existing one)
3) Move our repos to GitHub.

The (3) option was planned to be done on the same time as Host move. But on that host, there exist a few sites that still use PHP 5.2, so it needs a few updates before I can move everything and don't bother isieo with out Hi traffic.

As for Backups, we have Hourly/Daily backups to DropBox. I think that Technology have access to them too.

P.S. Also, I current situation, we can try to hook our SVN so it can generate new Releases Automatically.

EternalHarvest
Developers
Developers
Noob?: Yes

#12 Post by EternalHarvest »

Backups and bus number:
I only have access to: global moderation at forums; SF project administration.
Only I have access to "openkore" user at repo.openpandora.org, where should I put the account details?

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator
Noob?: No

#13 Post by Cozzie »

Are there even potential devs from the RO community at the moment?

openkore used to be widely used across all RO community but now I think the asian community (who consist of heavy botters) have their own communities which leaves the pool smaller.

It's not just devs but non dev team members as well. I just don't see potential supporters or moderators.

Even iROwiki community has seen decline. Their wiki is also rotting.

It is odd considering RO went through a bit of revival with F2P.

On the other hand, perhaps we should focus on our little time and energy onto trying to entice more devs to step forward. Fix developer's side of things such as introducing bug trackers and compiling features suggestions (so potential devs can try implementing easy features first), improving developer's documentations (src docs, how-tos and tutorials for plugins)?

Maybe we should even find community liaisons who can liaise with non-openkore botting communities.

Finally, I wonder if a bounty system would work and I am keen to see this quickly implemented. If it works it works, if it does not we can stop it.

Responses?
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by kLabMouse »

Well. from me side. the host is almost ready for transfer. Only thing left, is secure each users (because I had no time to check everything.).
It could be Transfered even now.

Plus, I made some work on BugTracker... but still tying to integrate it with PhpBB3.

As for Developers/Moderators. There is a rly big problem with them.
It's not the issue that there is no one that can help developing. The problem is that there is no real documentation on what could be done and how.

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#15 Post by Cozzie »

Secure each user?

Well, I strongly believe we should just do things quickly and deal with the problems when it crops up. We do not have the luxury of perfection or heck, even a state of higher than average standard. We need movements.

Oh, and let's take off post approval, we do not have the manpower and by having posts rot in approval is going to do more harm as we are stonewalling new users (even if their posts can be stupid but we will let the community sort itself out temporarily). Just set it so that the support forums auto purges old posts (proper posts will have their solutions archived onto the wiki which is what it should be).

Having kore generate information for debugging should be the highest priority of to-do because most support questions are unresolved because the users dont get back to us with required information and often they are not knowledgeable and obtaining the information overwhelm them. That is our fault, not their's .

Github seems like a good choice for us but if you are already working on implementing a bugtracking plugin, that's fine and whatever works, works.

The wik (and sometimes forum) i is often unresponsive when editing.

btw, glad to see you are still here and healthy klab =)
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Post by kLabMouse »

I'm Here. and Trying my best, also moderating Forums from time to time.
The only thing that keeps us from Disabling the Post/Topic's Approval is that there is a lot of SPM there. I ban two accounts every two day's because of that. That's 1 Advertisement Bot per day. Not much, but still not good.

Also. I've expanded the Backup storage size by + 2Gb, because it was almost full all the time.

The BugTracker i'm working on is based on WP Theme + PhpBB connector. so it will be easy to move data there and back.

Fr3DBr
Developers
Developers

#17 Post by Fr3DBr »

Do we need a better paid forum software ?

If so i can give a hand on this...

Also if you need moderation help i know people that are willing to help :)

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by kLabMouse »

Fr3DBr wrote:Do we need a better paid forum software ?

Thanks. I know that you are an old player of this Scene, even older then I am.
The more help We need now, is to stabilize the situation on Development.
Each ServerType get's outdated too quick, and there is noone to adjust them in time.

Also. I was thinking about Payed Forum Engine. I Bet IPB is a good choice (it has also Nulled Scene releases that are fresh Plus have some Modules cslled Bug Tracker).
But from the Other hand, Forum is no such Important as the code base itself.

Fr3DBr
Developers
Developers

#19 Post by Fr3DBr »

kLabMouse wrote:

Each ServerType get's outdated too quick, and there is noone to adjust them in time.

Also. I was thinking about Payed Forum Engine. I Bet IPB is a good choice (it has also Nulled Scene releases that are fresh Plus have some Modules cslled Bug Tracker).
Well if it matters i can even buy myself a forum license for the project, if it is judged important, just let me know :).

About ST's, its complicated... today new bRO update and new small changes...
Last edited by Fr3DBr on 07 Mar 2012, 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by kLabMouse »

Fr3DBr wrote:
kLabMouse wrote:

Also. I was thinking about Payed Forum Engine. I Bet IPB is a good choice (it has also Nulled Scene releases that are fresh Plus have some Modules called Bug Tracker).
Well if it matters i can even buy myself a forum license for the project, if it is judged important, just let me know :).
I can Buy it too. it's not a Problem at all.
But I think, thatphpBB3 is more customizable and have better support. IPB is more like a complete solution, and only little things could be changed.

I'm working on WP implementation of BugTracker. Looks pretty nice, and have alot of things that could be added.