Problem solving for newbs

All non-related to RO or OpenKore goes here. Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Moderators

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator
Noob?: No

Re: Problem solving for newbs

#11 Post by Cozzie »

most common problems:
- unknown packet error (use packet extractor) - current packet extractor broken
- Cannot load table file (table folder/file missing) - their fault but that error message is overkill something like a pop up that says "put your table/files in the correct section!" helps
- could not calculate route (fields folder/file missing) - same, errors are not helpful, remember helping them helps us!
- unknown monsters/npc's (try different serverTypes) - automatic serverType detection sovles all of these issues if it is possible. windows98se did something like this.
- bot is logging in but immobile (try different serverTypes) - same issue
- server has anti bot -> recognizing method -> appropriate solution - recognizing method is a tedious process which they often just want to ignore, better documentation help
- ..... to be continued .....

what i am pointing at is that this software's targeted market are not IT geeks but it was made like one. We as geeks like interesting thought provoking issues, not level 1 tech support. Making the software which can automatically solve/inform level 1 tech support issues help us with our sanity and help them make it work because atm we are the one getting hurt. Look at our morale, it's not even funny =/
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#12 Post by sli »

Cozzie wrote:- unknown packet error (use packet extractor) - current packet extractor broken
That was fixed.
Cozzie wrote:what i am pointing at is that this software's targeted market are not IT geeks but it was made like one. We as geeks like interesting thought provoking issues, not level 1 tech support. Making the software which can automatically solve/inform level 1 tech support issues help us with our sanity and help them make it work because atm we are the one getting hurt. Look at our morale, it's not even funny =/
We have more than one thing that does that, already: wiki and forums. All of those problems can be solved by a trip to one or both of those locations. It's not really difficult to search for "packet extractor" or "recvpackets" in the forums, nor is it hard to search for "setAuto_lower" or whatever on the wiki. The problem isn't that the information is not there, the problem is that people refuse to look for it themselves.
cs : ee : realist

scath
Noob
Noob
Noob?: Yes

#13 Post by scath »

well, even if the information is there, can us noobs find it? do we even know what we are looking for? and if your english is bad...
after wandering the forums aimlessly i found the packet extractor. i thought there was some problem with it, i couldnt get it to work at all. as it turned out, it failed to make recvpackets.txt and showed an error msg, but because i used the windows "run" the window closed and i couldnt see the error msg.
so i reeaaallly hate windows command line now.
alot of issues arent noob friendly. half the time we dont know if the problem is with the program or with us!

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#14 Post by sli »

http://forums.openkore.com/search.php
Type in "recvpacket" or "unknown packet" or whatever error you're having. Way too many threads contain errors that are completely obvious. Like this:

Code: Select all

Error:
Cannot load table file
y it dun wurk?
And then there's this: http://www.openkore.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Search

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#15 Post by Cozzie »

scath wrote:well, even if the information is there, can us noobs find it? do we even know what we are looking for? and if your english is bad...
after wandering the forums aimlessly i found the packet extractor. i thought there was some problem with it, i couldnt get it to work at all. as it turned out, it failed to make recvpackets.txt and showed an error msg, but because i used the windows "run" the window closed and i couldnt see the error msg.
so i reeaaallly hate windows command line now.
alot of issues arent noob friendly. half the time we dont know if the problem is with the program or with us!
It's one thing to make it more noob proof but seriously I despise it when you noobs think being noob is a privilege. Yes our information is not well organized but it isnt impossible. Hating CLI based software just proves of your immaturity.

But yes, that packet extractor thing, I dont think it's working. I'm serious.
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

scath
Noob
Noob
Noob?: Yes

#16 Post by scath »

i sense alot of noob hate~
don't expect everyone to understand what CLI is, but i feel the windows command line sucks compared to what it could be. like you know, actually being able to copy and paste.
being a noob is a priviledge? everyone is a noob at something. there is nothing priviledged about it. i can't really expect you or most anyone else around here to start talking in chinese to me.
but when someone thinks they are priviledged to help from experts, and to their time, thats different. and yes, i realize its not working. i posted that merely as an example.

i think this project has some conflicts of interest. there's an active attempt to "noob-proof" things which makes things unnecessarily hard, but is meant to deter lazy people. overall people are afraid there will be too many botters and new anti-bot measures will appear, which keeps people from sharing their secrets and limits progress.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#17 Post by sli »

scath wrote:i sense alot of noob hate~
don't expect everyone to understand what CLI is, but i feel the windows command line sucks compared to what it could be. like you know, actually being able to copy and paste.
Are you:
A) Using Windows 95
B) A noob
C) In come kind of time rift where it's 1996 and using Windows 95 is normal
D) All of the above