Dev Request

Discussion about everything RO and OpenKore related. This place is NOT for ANY kind of support questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Historm
Human
Human
Noob?: No

Dev Request

#1 Post by Historm »

I would like to request info on being considered an openkore developer, how I can submit bug fixes and improvements, or how I can contact a dev so I can provide them with my code so they can include it for me.

I have posted several fixes and improvements to the developer's corner but I would like to see those posts be approved much faster than the 10 or more days it has been taking.

Thanks in advance.

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dev Request

#2 Post by kLabMouse »

Historm wrote:I would like to request info on being considered an openkore developer, how I can submit bug fixes and improvements, or how I can contact a dev so I can provide them with my code so they can include it for me.

I have posted several fixes and improvements to the developer's corner but I would like to see those posts be approved much faster than the 10 or more days it has been taking.

Thanks in advance.
Well. Here is How it is:
1) Dev team notice you as a good contributor.
2) The decision is made upon adding a new member to the Team. This can happen in a few scenarios
2.1) One or multiple Dev Team members decide to add new member. Administrator gives new member all the needed rights.
2.2) One Dev Member write Dev Team Leader/Admin to add new member. In this case, new member is under trial and guided by one or multiple Dev Team members.
2.3) Dev Team Leader finds a new member, who contribute to project using our board. Same trial as in 2.2, but this time guided by Dev Team Leader.

Well, that's how it is.
There is also a Shortcut. Write a PM to Dev Team Leader or active Dev Team member with your application and links to works done so far as 3rd party contributor.

Historm
Human
Human

#3 Post by Historm »

I see.

Well, I am fine only contributing code I have worked on as posts to the dev section. Mostly I just want the posts I make to be released in a quicker manner, so that the general playerbase can put my code to use if they like.

I'm probably not good enough to be a dev, but I'll just keep posting and the team can decide that for themselves.

otaku
Human
Human

#4 Post by otaku »

Have the dev team considered switching the project from SVN to Git and hosting it in a site like Github? I think this would make much easier for people to contribute to the source code. A pull request directly to the repository is much more useful than a post in here. Every active developer could analyze the code before merging it or just reject it if it's not fit for Openkore codebase. (I bet that most of the listed developers don't even read this forum anymore, so contributions posted here could stay unread for weeks/months)
I'm watching my TV or is it watching me?

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by kLabMouse »

otaku wrote:Have the dev team considered switching the project from SVN to Git and hosting it in a site like Github? I think this would make much easier for people to contribute to the source code. A pull request directly to the repository is much more useful than a post in here. Every active developer could analyze the code before merging it or just reject it if it's not fit for Openkore codebase. (I bet that most of the listed developers don't even read this forum anymore, so contributions posted here could stay unread for weeks/months)
This was tried before. We even tried to migrate our SVN to Git. Failed, because OpenKore structure changed more then Git allowed.

jsteng
Noob
Noob

#6 Post by jsteng »

Just contribute.
Post the ideas/codes/bug fixes/explanations of bug.
Im sure they'd add the fixes. And in due time, be included as a Dev.

That was how i got into the dev team - I just post and they do the updating. I am no longer active though. I moved on with other endeavors. Im not into the game itself but for the fun of programming and debugging all of it; back then I believe it was about 30~40K lines. You dont know how messy the original codes (from modkore) were.

opinion on SVN or GIT?
I dont know. Im old school. Like i said, I just post and the others include it.

Anyways. Hi All!