Plugins in other languages (Python, Ruby, C, etc)

Wrote new code? Fixed a bug? Want to discuss technical stuff? Feel free to post it here.

Moderator: Moderators

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk
Noob?: No

Plugins in other languages (Python, Ruby, C, etc)

#1 Post by sli »

Completely possible. I'm working on a simpler interface for it, but at the moment if anyone wants to write plugins in other languages, just use the Inline family of Perl modules (Inline::C, Inline::Python, Inline::Ruby, etc etc).
cs : ee : realist

Kissa2k
Human
Human

Re: Plugins in other languages (Python, Ruby, C, etc)

#2 Post by Kissa2k »

Also you can take code which depend on performance to dll module.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#3 Post by sli »

Actually, I was thinking about that the other day. I'd like to see someone implement an OpenKore plugin in pure C. The thing is there would probably need to be a Perl plugin to wrap the C plugins as OpenKore doesn't natively support XS Perl modules (outside XSTools, which has special code written specifically for loading and using it).

iamanoob
Plain Yogurt
Plain Yogurt

#4 Post by iamanoob »

is C faster than perl?
http://www.openkore.com/wiki/index.php/ ... g_language

i like plugin's in C...
but i dont know the limitations of C from perl
since im not good at C and also perl XD
DARKest Ninja

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#5 Post by sli »

C is much faster, but I doubt so when run using Inline.

ryan22
Noob
Noob

#6 Post by ryan22 »

Hello,

I have an application, written in Python, which is utilized by a genuinely specialized gathering of people (researchers).

I'm searching for a decent method to make the application extensible by the clients, for example a scripting/plugin architecture.

I am searching for something amazingly lightweight. Most contents, or plugins, are not going to be produced and disseminated by an outsider and introduced, yet will be something prepared by a client shortly to mechanize a rehashing errand, include support for a record design, and so on. So plugins ought to have absolute minimum boilerplate code, and require no 'installation' other than copying to a folder (so something like setuptools entry points, or the Zope plugin architecture seems like too much.)

Are there any frameworks like this officially out there, or any tasks that implement a similar scheme that I should look at for ideas / inspiration?