URGENT: Future of Openkore - community opinion encouraged!

Announcements/News

Moderator: Moderators

Taga-Gubat
Noob
Noob
Noob?: Yes

Re: Future of Openkore

#11 Post by Taga-Gubat »

If Project Leader = people skills, then I nominate Cozzie or kali. Kaliwanagan would have won me over, if not for his long period of inactiveness.

But if Project Leader = coding, technical skills, and stuff, then I would have to nominate sli. Though he eats n00bs for breakfast, you gotta admit he does have a vast knowledge about programming.
Practice makes perfect. Nobody's perfect. I want to be a nobody so that I can be perfect.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk
Noob?: No

#12 Post by sli »

kali wrote:The question is: will managing both OpenKore as well as Erok actually work? I am quite afraid that all that would happen is Erok will pirate OpenKore's developers.
I expected someone to say something like this and I assure you this won't be happening. I'm not accepting any developers in the near future, and depending on how the project progresses, I might not accept developers at all. Erok is my baby, and like a father's feelings for his daughter, I don't want anyone defiling it. :lol: That said leads me to this: since I am the sole project member for Erok, I have zero management duties. All I do is write code, leaving me to devote most of my energy to OpenKore. (Which I do, most of the time.)

In extension to that, I have yet to meet a competent Python programmer than is also an active RO player and interested in writing a bot. Erok's always been more for me than for the community, regardless of the facilities I'm creating for ease of use by the users. In contrast, I would love to bring these to OpenKore. Erok is fully capable of updating itself via SVN by simply installing PySVN. I'd love to see OpenKore have that feature as well and many others. Like any other software project or company, the founded projects need to work proactively to retain users before competition hits the market.
cs : ee : realist

andy12345
Moderators
Moderators

#13 Post by andy12345 »

sli wrote:
kali wrote:The question is: will managing both OpenKore as well as Erok actually work? I am quite afraid that all that would happen is Erok will pirate OpenKore's developers.
I expected someone to say something like this and I assure you this won't be happening. I'm not accepting any developers in the near future, and depending on how the project progresses, I might not accept developers at all. Erok is my baby, and like a father's feelings for his daughter, I don't want anyone defiling it. :lol: That said leads me to this: since I am the sole project member for Erok, I have zero management duties. All I do is write code, leaving me to devote most of my energy to OpenKore. (Which I do, most of the time.)

In extension to that, I have yet to meet a competent Python programmer than is also an active RO player and interested in writing a bot. Erok's always been more for me than for the community, regardless of the facilities I'm creating for ease of use by the users. In contrast, I would love to bring these to OpenKore. Erok is fully capable of updating itself via SVN by simply installing PySVN. I'd love to see OpenKore have that feature as well and many others. Like any other software project or company, the founded projects need to work proactively to retain users before competition hits the market.
If you find time for OK after Erok, Then I nominate you otherwise its Cozzie.(Does my opinion matter? I am still waiting for someone to make me a MOD so I can prune forums and keep 'em clean.)

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#14 Post by Cozzie »

What darkfate said should be taken note of, seriously. However I do not yet share his grim outlook. First of all, the sustainability of RO is correlated to Openkore's but it is not conclusive. It is highly arguable what is RO's current state of sustainability. On one hand, p2p servers are almost dead, yet on another, free servers, ep 13, mechanics revamp are all very exciting and yet on another, private servers has reached it's zenith in maturity (only thing stopping it is eA's fucked up code, which I think most would agree no? =]) Irregardless, What is your opinion? Personally I think RO is poised for a change and even better if gravity updated that ridiculous client(it saves CPU cycles for RO by initiating infinite loops =.=), it's graphics and UI(no selective drag and drop? no universal right click????) OR ninjakore gets up into shape =).

However, issues closer to home that darkfate has mentioned should be looked. That issue is perl and by extension a fork. Can perl still sustain openkore? Could it be it's complication especially it's use in Openkore is deterring potential developers? If not, should a total rewrite in a more suitable language start?

In any case, I do not believe the community is at it's end. Many other open source community serves lots of noobs such as ubuntu but the difference is that a strong structure and foundation is able to support that and by proxy a well managed project attracts developers. Klab has doubts about sustaining motivation but what I believe is that currently it is a catch-22 situation. Motivation is not sustained because there is absolutely no direction and because there is no direction, it is a sign of a weak project thus developers in the end feels "what's the point?". Stop one, highly likely stop the other. When openkore and modkore had strong directions, morale and a sense of direction was high despite the even higher number of noobs then. Like any real life careers, achievements and recognition is a high motivation. Opensource relies on generous volunteers with that, it isn't that hard to tap a sense of achievement for that person. This is a project. There are external factors at hand that isnt directly within our decision but we try to control it, that's just the reality. This is not rocket science, it's information management. If else fails, revert =)
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

iamanoob
Plain Yogurt
Plain Yogurt

#15 Post by iamanoob »

i would really nominate sli
coz he really is not A FUCKING NOOB
he answers whenever he had time
and he responds with an ownage for noobs
if its coding and technical support
sli wrote:Fuck the servers. I'm here for the botters. Erok is a bot, not a bitch.
words of wisdom...
DARKest Ninja

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#16 Post by Cozzie »

bear in mind, while we do not have a strict charter or even structure, the project leader does NOT have veto authority. He is there to tie everything together, not be a dictator.

Taga-Gubat
Noob
Noob

#17 Post by Taga-Gubat »

So that would mean Project Leader = People Skills, right?

Then it's you (Cozzie) or kali for me. But a part of me wants to nominate sli too, for he is the only one at the moment who seems to be eager for the position. Sure, we can nominate even the greatest of greats in programming or in leadership, but if he's not up to the task then it would not matter.
Practice makes perfect. Nobody's perfect. I want to be a nobody so that I can be perfect.

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#18 Post by Cozzie »

leader = project architect + project manager.

Project architect = coding, design decisions, technical stuff baically.

project manger = people skills, day to day operations.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#19 Post by sli »

iamanoob wrote:i would really nominate sli
coz he really is not A FUCKING NOOB
he answers whenever he had time
and he responds with an ownage for noobs
if its coding and technical support
sli wrote:Fuck the servers. I'm here for the botters. Erok is a bot, not a bitch.
words of wisdom...
Is that a real post or sarcasm? :lol:

I uh... I can never tell... :(
cs : ee : realist

Taga-Gubat
Noob
Noob

#20 Post by Taga-Gubat »

Okay, so the criteria has been given.

Now, the real question would be, would anyone be up for the task? We can point our fingers on anyone who we think would be best for the position, but if the nominee has no interest whatsoever in taking responsibility, then none of these would matter. (I'm basically repeating what I said earlier, but not really >.<)

I'd still nominate Cozzie and kali if they're up to it. But if not, then it would be sli for me. (Might need some polishing on the people skills there, but I think he can manage...hopefully)

A little suggestion though, since you can count by your fingers the number of people posting and voicing their opinions here, why dont you guys just have a round-table assembly or something? I bet majority of the people here in the forum havent even read this thread, they're just to busy leeching or posting their whines on how to fix their bot. Why dont the admin, mods, dev writers gather and choose amongst themselves who would be fit to be Project Leader?