URGENT: Future of Openkore - community opinion encouraged!

Announcements/News

Moderator: Moderators

kali
OpenKore Monk
OpenKore Monk

Re: URGENT: Future of Openkore - Team Members MUST Reply!

#31 Post by kali »

I believe it's time Technology got a dev rank in the forum?
Got your topic trashed by a mod?

Trashing topics is one click, and moving a topic to its proper forum is a lot harder. You expend the least effort in deciding where to post, mods expend the least effort by trashing.

Have a nice day.

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator
Noob?: No

#32 Post by Cozzie »

long overdue. as with many others.
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

kali
OpenKore Monk
OpenKore Monk

#33 Post by kali »

Could you post their names here or PM them so that they can be added and their inputs included in the discussion? Thanks :P

BTW one of the technical decisions we face would be the servertype issue (if it's an issue at all). I don't really see any problems with it that is not brought about by the limitations of the language. Besides, legacy support is something OpenKore is known for. OpenKore is the universal RO bot - it works on nearly every server, old or new. Therefore if we phase out the older ones it's a user nuisance if he tries to play on a server that uses those old packet formats. I'd rather have someone download the bot and figure out which servertype works (or even better, we include it in servers.txt so the bot runs out of the box - really, that's what servers.txt is for) rather than release each and everytime a hibernating servertype wakes up.
Got your topic trashed by a mod?

Trashing topics is one click, and moving a topic to its proper forum is a lot harder. You expend the least effort in deciding where to post, mods expend the least effort by trashing.

Have a nice day.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#34 Post by sli »

Some stuff can be merged. For example, the receive side of servertypes 1-7 are all the same, and all do nothing. Stuff like that can be removed.
cs : ee : realist

h4rry84
Moderators
Moderators
Noob?: Yes

#35 Post by h4rry84 »

kali wrote:I believe it's time Technology got a dev rank in the forum?
uh huh. agreed. i think you're already done that.

about ServerType, i dont think that's a major problem, maybe it would be nicer to say it should be optimized *_* , that's all.

an now, Go back to the Topic >_>, don't discuss the bug of openkore:
facing the truth that almost all ppl in here are busy with life (seriously) and since this is a volunteer work (ppl can go in and out as they wish, but would be better if they can stick to the job), it's hard to let ppl to choose since it's the Project leader life not our life.

so as my OWN opinion, it's better if ppl that can bear the duty of this job just raise your hand and do the job with your best either your life and this project, and if you're just have halfassed heart to do this job just don't nominate yourself as you will ruin yourself and the project itself.

hum, why this isn't going public since this is discussing about the future and community of project itself ?

Cozzie
Spam Generator
Spam Generator

#36 Post by Cozzie »

kali wrote:Could you post their names here or PM them so that they can be added and their inputs included in the discussion? Thanks :P
all of the devs that have svn access should have at least a developer rank in the forum. lastclick, littlewens and motivus does not have a rank here.
Make Openkore Awesome. Join the team.

ponty
Moderators
Moderators

#37 Post by ponty »

Ditto, I also think this post should be remain public as you would never know it might bring forth someone who's really interested in taking the lead.

Not sure if this was brought up yet since I skimmed through this thread...we could always have multiple co-project managers (not just one person) leading the project. I suggest picking two candidates who are somewhat on opposite ends concerning their character traits (ie. personality, skill set, etc) that way they'll balance each other out and a wider view would have been taken on a certain issue. I imagine these project leaders as more of omni-advisors who gather input from the community (not just imposing their own ideas on the rest, though their input is always valued but should be debated on). They also bring up the important questions that need to be discussed on what the best approaches are for further development of the software AND the community as a whole. Also, having more than one could also serve as a backup buddy system going in case the other suddenly goes AWOL and the project just stagnates...

Here's a few of my minimum requirements of the candidates:
-Must know how to use Openkore to an advance level [knowledgeable of how to use most of Openkore's feature, but does not quite need to know the inner workings though that would be an asset when it comes to more technical issues]
-Has played Ragnarok Online
-Evidence they have contributed to any open-source project in the past [experience is always a necessity especially if you're leading]
-Expresses and explains him/herself well and can break down the most complex ideas so that a noob could even understand
-Analytical & Critcal, Persuasive, Reliable, Resourceful, Team player, etc [basically, any characteristics that comes to mind when you think of a good leader]
-Can dedicate a steady amount of time to the project
There's probably more, but that's my list on very little sleep...

So far I'm liking the possible candidates: Sli, Cozzie, Klab (and whoever else I might have missed sorry remember I skimmed)
Maybe each candidate could make a speech on the topic of what they (optimistically) imagine where Openkore is going in the future and what possible steps they'll take to ensure that' will happen?
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#38 Post by sli »

On the topic of speeches, I've been wanting to do a video interview for when Erok is released about botting in general.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#39 Post by sli »

Ok, this is exactly why OpenKore is becoming a total piece of garbage full of stupid bugs: no one seems to give a God damn about the project itself. Why is this thread dead? Why has no one been chosen? I'm about to just do whatever it takes to keep things alive, even if it means forking off and taking active developers with me.

ponty
Moderators
Moderators

#40 Post by ponty »

eh been waiting for a reply but ya...seems like my vote will be for sli since noone else seems to want to take up the task of leading the way. Though I still think the community should have a fair warning at least of what's happening here.
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~