Announcements/News

Moderator: Moderators

ponty
Moderators
Moderators
Noob?: No

PM NOMIONATIONS: An Open Call for an OK Leader

#1 Post by ponty »

Alrite...guess I'll start this post then on the Openkore (OK) Project Manager (PM) Elections since noone seems to want to take a lead on it.
So for those who has no idea what is happening, (Where the hell have you been at?)

Read the original post here: URGENT: Future of Openkore - community opinion encouraged!

Thread Summary:
We do not want to END/KILL OFF the Openkore Project (I may be exaggerating a bit, but IMHO it's looking like it's going down that way). This is our attempt to restore Openkore's community and make it better than it was before. Best way to do this is through selecting someone (yes, this could be YOU: any individual currently using or willing to learn how to use Openkore ) from the community who is willing to step up to the plate and refocus the project's direction. So now, I challenge anyone who thinks that they have the dedication and (not just programming) skills to take this project out of the dumps. [We don't want to put those bot hunters out of their day jobs now we?]

Nomination Application
  • You may nominate someone (but they must be willing to accept the role) or nominate yourself.
  • The applications will be up for 2 weeks starting now (April 6th) and closing April 20th. This is happening fast and furious, so get those applications in ASAP.
  • The candidates are required to answer the questions below, which the rest of the community will use to decide their votes.
  • Actual votes will be collected in a poll post during the following week (April 21st to 26th - MARK YOUR CALENDAR TO VOTE THAT WEEK) after the application acceptance closes.
  • We'll announce the new Project Manager on April 27th.
Nomination Questions
  • Why do you want to take the lead on the Openkore Project?
  • What characteristics do you have that would make you a good candidate for the position?
  • What would be your feelings, future directions and plans for the Openkore project?
  • Any experience/level of knowledge about Openkore?
  • Any experience/level of knowledge about project management?
Submission
Submissions will be posted here in this thread or if you wish to not have your application shown here before the voting starts, just send your application as a PM to my forum message box and I'll handle them from there.

That's everything I had in mind at the moment, anything I missed out or needs to be added just let one of the mods or myself know and we'll edit it if we deem it important enough.

Looking forward to seeing people step up and taking advantage of this opportunity.

Chimo!
Ponty

UPDATES!
Currently, 3 nominations in, well 2 really cause I'm not really included. So the nominations I have received so far are:
sli: http://forums.openkore.com/viewtopic.ph ... 607#p22313
kLabMouse: http://forums.openkore.com/viewtopic.ph ... 607#p22339
ponty by kali (but I am unsure of taking on this role due to my time commitments): http://forums.openkore.com/viewtopic.ph ... 607#p22564
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

Re: PM NOMINATIONS: An Open Call for an OK Leader

#2 Post by sli »

I've been a part of the community since Kura released Kore back in 2003, and an avid botter since Artforz created the first public bot for Ragnarok. I've seen Kore grow and become what it is today since day one. OpenKore is at a crossroads on its downhill struggle, I seek to point it in the correct direction.

I try I demonstrate a rigid enough adherence to proper procedure, but allow room for change, modernization, and innovation (as it may be). Those who know me know that if nothing else, I'm a devoted to OpenKore and its community now as I was when it was in its infancy, and I've been offering support, both technical and otherwise, as far back as "the Apez days." In addition, I have been modding and contributing to Kore, both officially and unofficially, for almost as long. I have a firm grasp of many programming languages and paradigms, ideas, people, forward thinking, and embracing new technologies to provide a richer experience for users and developers alike.

In the future, I see a tightly knit development team, collaborating over many mediums; not just forums, a wiki, SVN, or IRC, but through real project management, bug tracking, and an overall correct and professional inner agenda. And twice as many buzzwords. :roll: Hang on, there's *sniff* ...there's something in my eye.

OpenKore has always lacked this sort of organization. It was never needed in the past as Kore was always one man writing one Perl script, and that was it. But OpenKore is modular, it's huge, it has a team, and it is in dire need of streamlining. OpenKore needs someone who will point at a single developer and say, "You, fix this bug," followed by pointing to another developer and saying, "You, commit this patch." Adding this X-Factor will make OpenKore's rebirth not a matter of if, but a matter of when or how long.
cs : ee : realist

kLabMouse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PM NOMIONATIONS: An Open Call for an OK Leader

#3 Post by kLabMouse »

* Why do you want to take the lead on the Openkore Project?
I want just to make OpenKore better. And follow direction witch VCL listed in TODO.
May-be with some Improvements.

* What characteristics do you have that would make you a good candidate for the position?
Let people decide.

* What would be your feelings, future directions and plans for the Openkore project?
Time will show whatever we success in development of "AI 2008" branch or not.
Anyway, revolution is closer then we think.

* Any experience/level of knowledge about Openkore?
Every corner, every single line of OpenKore 2.x main code, and AI 2008 branch code base.

* Any experience/level of knowledge about project management?
ROPP, EPP, LoginPIN, etc. + Management of the whole Russian community. Is that enough?

Minuses:
- I dunno English too good, to manipulate whole International community.

freezer123
Plain Yogurt
Plain Yogurt

#4 Post by freezer123 »

So far we have only 2 candidate, might as well put a link of this topic to Darkmoon Forum (Openkore pRO Support) as they are also a part of this community. Somebody there might take up the challenge.

ponty
Moderators
Moderators

#5 Post by ponty »

freezer123 wrote:So far we have only 2 candidate, might as well put a link of this topic to Darkmoon Forum (Openkore pRO Support) as they are also a part of this community. Somebody there might take up the challenge.
Very good suggestion, I just made a modified copy on their boards: http://darkmoon.ath.cx/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2129

Thanks for bringing that up.
Follow The template in Asking Questions or Be Trashed

Openkore Documentation Editor/Writer
~Servus Servorum~

MatrixZero
Human
Human

#6 Post by MatrixZero »

I nominate sli. out of everyone I've seen on the forums he seems to get most of the jobs done fastest. he also seems to be the most dedicated to the project. I would honestly take up the challenge if I knew more about the code but I've only had about 3 months of experience with the bot in the first place.

kali
OpenKore Monk
OpenKore Monk

#7 Post by kali »

I'll nominate ponty and answer the questions on his behalf:

* Why do you want to take the lead on the Openkore Project?

Not quite sure about his real reasons, but his work on trying to rally the OpenKore community has been very effective so far. I would think that if he were given better control and authority, he would be even more effective.

* What characteristics do you have that would make you a good candidate for the position?

I've seen a few of his posts when helping people asking for support, and they're complete and concise, as well as giving enough slack for the questioner to experiment himself and get that "aha!" moment.

* What would be your feelings, future directions and plans for the Openkore project?

I would think he wants something like a revival, although with the current development Gravity has for Ragnarok, he might find this difficult (but not insurmountable)

* Any experience/level of knowledge about Openkore?

I believe he has a working knowledge on operating a bot. Programming can easily be taught.

* Any experience/level of knowledge about project management?

Might be instinctual (gut-feel) but as long as his spirit remains true, he should be able to lead us all satisfactorily.
Got your topic trashed by a mod?

Trashing topics is one click, and moving a topic to its proper forum is a lot harder. You expend the least effort in deciding where to post, mods expend the least effort by trashing.

Have a nice day.

Bibian
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#8 Post by Bibian »

if anyone is going to lead it has to be someone who knows their way around the OK code and someone who obviously can code... i personally dont intend to teach someone to code or how OK's code is setup.
But do we really need a "leader"? even when vcl was still "leading" people did what they thought was good. Hardly anything was run by him.

Also why on earth is this open to the public? The developers should choose someone if we have to, not the users... you all know that 95% of our users have the IQ of a mentally retarded muppet (if you feel insulted, then yes... i mean you).

And no, im not nominating myself... i have no desire to lead OK at all.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#9 Post by sli »

Bibian wrote:But do we really need a "leader"? even when vcl was still "leading" people did what they thought was good. Hardly anything was run by him.
Part of the problem.
Bibian wrote:Also why on earth is this open to the public? The developers should choose someone if we have to, not the users... you all know that 95% of our users have the IQ of a mentally retarded muppet (if you feel insulted, then yes... i mean you).
Because they're part of the project, too. No one said we were having an open vote. Transparency in leadership is a step in the right direction.
cs : ee : realist

darkfate
Super Moderators
Super Moderators

#10 Post by darkfate »

Bibian wrote:if anyone is going to lead it has to be someone who knows their way around the OK code and someone who obviously can code... i personally dont intend to teach someone to code or how OK's code is setup.
But do we really need a "leader"? even when vcl was still "leading" people did what they thought was good. Hardly anything was run by him.

Also why on earth is this open to the public? The developers should choose someone if we have to, not the users... you all know that 95% of our users have the IQ of a mentally retarded muppet (if you feel insulted, then yes... i mean you).

And no, im not nominating myself... i have no desire to lead OK at all.
I agree with that. The average OpenKore user will probably just choose the one who helped him with some stupid support question in the past.. does answering a support question qualify someone to be a project leader? I don't think so.
Besides, devs who code and did a lot for OpenKore in the past (like kLabMouse) but didn't spend that much time in the support section would hardly get votes, which is totally wrong. It's also important for the project leader to be able to work/collaborate with the rest of the team.. and who could possibly answer this questions best? Right.. the team itself..
You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.
- Mark Rippetoe