followTarget_radius and some follow thoughts

This section is created for developers and non-developers who think that he/she has a good (and realistic) idea that might contribute to the OpenKore community.

Moderator: Moderators

Darki
Been there done that!
Been there done that!
Noob?: No

followTarget_radius and some follow thoughts

#1 Post by Darki »

As you may know, there are some following options to enable a bot to follow another character. This also allows it to keep a distance, and to emulate some actions from the "master":

Code: Select all

follow
followTarget 
followEmotion
followEmotion_distance
followFaceDirection
followDistanceMax
followDistanceMin
followLostStep
followSitAuto
followBot
Well, all this is good, maybe there are some problems when they lost each other, that maybe can be solved with the waitForParty plugin, but my problems come when the idea is to make a party with more than a pair of characters.

If you try to make a party with 3+ bots, you may find the following situations:
  • All bots follow one character, and unless you tweak the followDistanceMax and Min stuff, they usually get stucked in the same square, so you see a character walking as a "mob" of bots following it. Kinda obvious.
  • A bot follows another, that one another, and so on till you reach the "main" character. With 3 bots, well maybe it can work, but with 4+ it's even ridiculous, it looks like a train or little chickens following mom. xD
I was thinking about some ideas to enhance these options. Here are some:
  • followTarget_radius [<number>] With this option, the bot would consider the master like if he were occupying an area instead of the square where it's really on. So, if you keep this at 3 and followDistance at 3, for example, the bot would follow the target till he is at 3 squares of the radius. This would make the movements more random, and not so straight as if they were following it like an army.
  • followPartner [<player name>] This option would make the bot to know if there are other bots following the same character, so it could interact with them, like with the next option.
  • followRadiusMin [<number>]
  • followRadiusMax [<number>]
    These options would make a bot to leave these distances between other bots following the same character, listed in the above option, or the followTarget one. This way, if two bots are following the same character, they would be a little separated and wouldn't get stucked in the same square. By the other side, they would make the bot try not to be separated from the other ones, so for example if there's a party with a priest, it could try to be always as close as possible to all characters to be able to heal them.
The idea, just to say it shorter, is to make the follow options more complex, and letting the bot to interact with other bots following the same character, not only to follow one and forget about the rest of the world. What do you think?
Last edited by Darki on 09 Sep 2010, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

twiho
Noob
Noob
Noob?: No

Re: followTarget_radius and some follow thoughts

#2 Post by twiho »

Man, that is a good one. I totally agree. It must have looked weird when I was running around with my priest being followed by four bots, BS, aco, merch and thief bashing those Alligators. It was just terrible and the very instant the bots met someone they were suspicious. Maybe a plugin could solve this? When I have the time, I'll try to investigate.