Seems to be a misunderstanding, here...

All non-related to RO or OpenKore goes here. Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Moderators

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk
Noob?: No

Seems to be a misunderstanding, here...

#1 Post by sli »

All of the sudden I get warned and yelled at for mentioning Erok, so I think some clarification is in order.

Never was it my intention to create a competing bot. From the start, my goal for Erok was for it to be a companion project in the vein of ReactOS and Wine (not a great example, but the point is made). I'm not sure if the sudden reaction is frustration and intimidation or what, it's not like I haven't made it clear what Erok's strengths are even in its early stage. I've implemented translations in two lines, and caching will be under thirty. These are strengths of the Python language and part of the reason I chose it for Erok, along with the fact that by a wide margin, I know Python better than any other language.

I imagine that at one point, when Erok has matured to a usable state, that I would share discoveries and ideas with OpenKore. This is where my comparison with ReactOS and Wine comes in: they both have the goal of reimplementing Windows, and to that end they share with each other what they create. Of course we won't have quite that level of luxury as Perl and Python are two very different languages. But the fact is that ideas and breakthroughs are not language-specific.

On top of all that, I've already started rewriting the entire manual from the ground up. OpenKore is welcome to it, of course, unless you all decide that I'm not welcome. Of course you could copy and paste everything, but I imagine that source code and a SQL dump would be much easier to work with. My focus for this manual is simply English and a clean, minimalistic design. But that discussion is not in the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

So here's the deal. Erok and OpenKore can compete, or we can work together and let the users decide which they prefer. I'd rather not compete because both projects will serve two very different demographics, which doesn't really serve the idea of pure competition. OpenKore is easier for beginners because there's a binary form that requires nothing more than configuration. Erok will never be released in binary form, only in source, and more than likely will not even have tarballs outside the milestones. Obviously I can't simply ask everyone to install Python and all the extra modules it may need (currently none, projected one) because it goes beyond what most users want. Linux and OS X users will have their choice reduced to mere preference, but the majority of Windows users will still choose OpenKore for its ease of installation. Of course anyone with moderate Python experience could release py2exe-converted versions of Erok (or even Java through Jython or .NET through IronPython), but I have no intentions of even considering it.

So yeah. There's the clarification before this gets out of hand and turns into a shitstorm or something. I mean damn, people, this is all Erok does right now:

Code: Select all

sli@slinux:~/erok/trunk$ python erok.py
*** Erok v0.1 (SVN Version) - Custom Ragnarok Online client ***
*** http://erok.sf.net/ ***

sli@slinux:~/erok/trunk$
cs : ee : realist

Bibian
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

Re: Seems to be a misunderstanding, here...

#2 Post by Bibian »

its not the fact that you're working on it, i couldnt care less what you do with your free time. Its the constant trolling about it that gets annoying at times.
We dont need to hear stuff Erok WOULD do better when it eventually works when we're talking about a problem in openkore.

For all i care you start a seperate thread or w/e for your bot, but remember there's a time and/or place for everything

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#3 Post by sli »

Er, so far everything I've said Erok does... it actually does. It caches (wonderfully), it supports core extensions and dynamically extendable serverTypes, and it's file parsing is undeniably faster than OpenKore's because everything but the bot itself is implemented in pure C (builtins and C extensions, technically, but still faster than Python or Perl) and uses almost no regex. Not to mention that the post that suddenly started all this up wasn't even one talking about Erok's features. What you all seem to be missing is I'm not making up bullshit, I'm trying to get you guys to give me a run for my damn money because at the moment it's not looking too difficult. OpenKore getting better will only further healthy competition to build a better bot/automation tool. (lol, sorry :lol:)

Being butthurt about it isn't going to get OpenKore anywhere. When I say I've done this or that better than OpenKore, why not try and do me one better with improved code instead of complaining about me mentioning Erok too much? That's how products improve: they 1-up each other. Please, implement and deploy caching before I do, finish the new AI before I do, please do it. That's not even an asshole remark, that's what I actually want to see happen. I want OpenKore to surpass Erok and vice versa, because if that doesn't happen neither project will have set goals for improving themselves.

TRYING TO MAKE A PARTNERSHIP, HERE. HELLOOOO? WHERE'S THE LOVE, SEXIES? ;)

Man, it's hard to not look like an asshole even when I try. At least I'm trying!

rvause
Noob
Noob

#4 Post by rvause »

I remember reading you rabbiting on about your half baked projects on the old ApezRO boards. Lots of idea, lots of brainstorming but no actual product...that is how I connected the name sli to malevolyn.

I'll say that you clearly are a clever and gifted guy and hope whatever your bread and butter is will be a lot more successful than your recreational projects.

sli
Perl Monk
Perl Monk

#5 Post by sli »

Running Apez was my project. Honestly, I wish I still had the original Erok sitting around. It was a spaghetti code monster but it worked. I lost is to a hard drive crash. And by "crash" I mean "the hard drive literally fell apart."